Hampshire Police is warning us about a scam that’s happening in our supermarket car parks.
Shoppers are duped by people asking for directions and showing a map.
CCTV footage released by Hampshire Police shows how the offender distracts the shopper to allow an accomplice to enter the victim’s vehicle and steal from their handbags.
The stolen cards are then used to withdraw money or buy high value items, often before the victim has even realised their personal property has been taken.
Other similar techniques have been used to distract shoppers, including asking for directions, a need to go to hospital or asking if people have dropped money.
Some tips to help you keep your belongings safe when you are out shopping –
· Never leave your bag on the trolley unattended and always ensure your bag is zipped up.
· When putting shopping away in the boot of your vehicle always ensure your handbag/wallet is with you.
· If you are distracted for even a moment whilst putting shopping away – keep handbags with you or lock them in the vehicle before speaking to / helping anyone.
· If asked for directions or to look at maps/items – ensure you lock personal items in the vehicle first.
· Do not leave valuables on display in your vehicle.
· When filling up with fuel, lock your vehicle when re-fuelling and when you go to pay.
· If you are approached by anyone suspicious, report it to Police as soon as possible.