Did you know that:
If you have waste you have a legal ‘Duty of Care’. The Duty of Care applies to everyone involved in handling the waste:
- from the person who produces it
- to the person who finally disposes of or recovers it
If you are giving your waste to someone else to dispose of, e.g. you are hiring a skip:
There are some simple rules to follow including keeping your waste secure so it doesn’t leak or blow away and if you give your waste to someone else (like a waste contractor) it is your duty to make sure that you:
- Check the person can take it – ask them to produce evidence that they are authorised to carry waste. If they can’t do this do not give them your waste – contact the Environment Agency on 03708 506 506.
- Ensure the waste goes to a proper site – licensed or exempt.
- Give the person a transfer note – this must include a description of the waste and be signed by both of you. Keep copies of your transfer notes for a minimum of two years.
- Ensure that from 28 September 2011 a declaration is signed on the transfer note to indicate that the waste management hierarchy of options has been applied.
- For further information and advice from the Environment Agency click here