- Put presents under the Christmas tree early on Christmas morning or keep the tree out of view from the window.
- Lock and bolt your doors and windows.
- If you are expecting a parcel, make sure someone is there when it is delivered, or ask a neighbour to take it in. Avoid having it left on the door step.
- Keep keys, mobile phones, purses, wallets and other valuable items locked away out of sight.
- Don’t leave your keys in the door at any time.
- Never leave keys in view of the windows or doors.
- Once you’ve opened all your gifts, don’t leave the boxes on view outside to advertise your good fortune to criminals.
- Don’t leave messages on Facebook that you are not at home – otherwise you’re advertising to burglars the best time to strike.